Who was `Abdu'l-Bahá, and why did He come to the West?


Sunday, August 25, 2013

Visit from Lua; doors of confirmation; glorious Light beckoning


 I need to go back to catch up on a few major events during 'Abdu'l-Bahá's time in Egypt.  Earl Redman writes: 

Lua Getsinger arrived at Port Said on 23 July and was followed shortly by her husband, Edward. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá had asked Lua to go to India and said a man should go with her. She asked if her husband, Edward, could go with her. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s words to Lua on 19 August, writes Velda Metelmann, ‘can be accepted as a goal for all those who would serve their Lord’:

Thou must be firm and unshakable in thy purpose, and never, never let any outward circumstances worry thee . . . Thou must enter that country with a never-failing spirituality, a radiant faith, an eternal enthusiasm, an inextinguishable fire, a solid conviction . . . let not thou heart be troubled. If thou goest away with this unchanging condition of invariability of inner state, thou shalt see the doors of confirmation open before thy face . . .
  . . . Look at Me! Thou dost not know a thousandth part of the difficulties and seemingly unsurmountable passes that rise daily before my eyes. I do not heed them; I am walking in my chosen highway; I know the destination. Hundreds of storms and tempests may rage furiously around my head; hundreds of Titanics may sink to the bottom of the sea, the mad waves may rise to the roof of heaven; all these will not change my purpose, will not disturb me in the least; I will not look either to the right or to the left. I am looking ahead, far, far. Peering through the impenetrable darkness of the night, the howling winds, the raging storms, I see the glorious Light beckoning me forward, forward. 


            

No comments:

Post a Comment