Who was `Abdu'l-Bahá, and why did He come to the West?


Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, 1912 Dublin! Drinking in His Presence


Boston to Dublin, NH

Mahmúd writes: "As `Abdu'l-Bahá had said He intended to leave Boston for Dublin, the friends and seekers gathered at the hotel. He encouraged them to lead fruitful lives and to overcome self and desire. [This brief address can be found in PUP p. 244.]
Consenting to a request of Mr Kinney, the Master paid a visit to Green Acre. When He got there, two Arab seekers fell at His feet crying, `O Thou the Prophet of God.' He lifted them with His own hand, saying: `I am `Abdu'l-Bahá [the Servant of Bahá].' [This is a misconception by Mahmúd. The Master's arrival at Green Acre occurred on August 16, when 500 people lined up to greet Him. AP]
At 4:00 p.m. in the afternoon `Abdu'l-Bahá left Boston and by 7:00 p.m. He was gracing the gardens of Dublin. Master took up residence in one of the two houses Mrs Parsons had especially prepared for Him, which was furnished with every comfort; however, the Master said that we must bear our own expenses. Mrs Parsons had hoped that the arrival of the Master would remain private so that He might rest a little. When `Abdu'l-Bahá learned of this He said:
We have come for work and service and not for leisure. We must render service to the Threshold of the Blessed Beauty and must make such servitude the cause of our solace and the joy of our souls. As this place is a summer resort and many prominent people are present, therefore, unless they should themselves ask, the friends should not teach openly. They must deal with them with perfect dignity and honor.
Continuing, He said: Consider where we came from and where we are now in Dublin here in America. We must offer thanks for the assistance and protection of the Abhá Beauty that we may breathe a breath in the path of servitude.
He then gave an account of the life of Hájí Abu'l-Qásim, an indigo merchant, and the restoration of his grave. `He was', He said, `one of the servants of the Blessed Beauty. My first thought on my arrival in Egypt was to repair his tomb.' Similarly, He spoke of the good intentions and sincerity of Áqá Muhammad Taqí Isfahání, who is residing in Egypt. In the evening he enjoyed His dinner and ate in good health and happiness."
Agnes Parsons
with the Master
________

Meanwhile, in Dublin, Agnes Parsons had made all sorts of arrangements to receive the Master. Two Persian men of the entourage had arrived two days earlier. She writes: "At 3:00 Mirza V and I drove to Miss Flint's musical, and later, to the station to meet  `Abdu'l-Bahá. The train was on time, and I soon had  `Abdu'l-Bahá and Dr. Fareed in the carriage for the drive home.  Jeffrey man [her husband, not to be confused with their son Jeffrey] was at the lower house to greet  `Abdu'l-Bahá, and after a little visit we and Mrs. Meredith . . . returned home. Before I left, I took  `Abdu'l-Bahá to His own room, and I took Him on the 2nd story veranda to see the view.  He seemed pleased with everything. I saw that the little room next to mine had been arranged for a work room--3 desks and two tables being there.  This seems a good arrangement. Mirza Admad [Sohrab] also arrived last night, and he and Mirza V[ali] O[llah] came home in the stage."

Perhaps Mahmud's memory of the two Arab seekers is actually from the week Abdu'l-Baha spent at Green Acre in August. At any rate, the Master stayed 23 days in Dublin.  It must have been a welcome relief from the cities.

See Phillip Tussing's document about Dublin.  And the newsreel story on Dublin!  Both are linked, under "Resources."

_____________

In NY, Juliet has an interesting entry for today, poignant and sweet:

"The Master is gone. Gone to Dublin, New Hampshire.
     I shall never forget the day He left, day before yesterday. I went up early to His house--but oh, too late! On the street I met Mrs Hutchinson.
     "The Master has gone!" she said, her eyes full of tears, her lips quivering.
     "When?"
     "Twenty minutes ago."
     "I will go to the station."
     I jumped on a subway train and reached the station in a few minutes. But nowhere did I see the Master and the Persians. I stopped a porter.
    "Did a party of foreigners pass through here just now?"
    "Egyptians?"
    "Yes!" There wasn't a minute to explain.
     "Yes. Go to track 19."
     But track 19 was deserted except for the gateman.
     "Has a party of foreigners passed this way?" I asked him.
     "Turks?"
     "Yes."
     "They are on the train."
     "I supposed I couldn't go through?"
     "Yes, go through, but come right back."
      Smiling my thanks, I dashed down the platform. At one of the windows in the train I saw a white turban.
     "Could I get on the car?" I asked the conductor.
     "Yes, get on. It's all right."

__________
     "Ah-h, Juliet!"
     "Goodbye, my Lord."
     "Goodbye." He drew me down beside Him. "You should not have troubled to come here," He said.
     "My heart wouldn't let me do otherwise."
     "I will see you in a month.[126] Give My greetings to your mother, to all the friends; to Mrs Krug, Miss Boylan."
     Closely, closely He pressed my hand, pouring the attar of rose of His Love upon me. Then once more He said goodbye and I left.
     It had been too bold, yet even against the rules every door had opened to me.
__________

The last time I talked with the Master was the day before He left. Sure that He was to leave that morning, the twenty-second, I went very early to His house, with eight palm-leaf fans in my hands. Mamma had sent them for the Master and the Persians to use on the hot journey.
     The master was sitting in the English basement at the window. He called me to a chair opposite Him. "What are all those for?" He asked, laughing, waving His hand toward the fans.
     I laughed too, for they did look funny. I explained their purpose and that they were from Mamma.
     For a while I sat in silence before Him. Then suddenly I realized that He was about to leave us, that in just a few minutes He would be gone. I began to cry quietly.
     "Tell Juliet," laughed the Master, "that I am not going today."
     At this the sun came out! But soon by tears were flowing again, this time because His love was melting me.
    "Why are you crying, Juliet? I am not going today!"

__________

In the afternoon He called me to Him and I had twenty minutes alone with Him and Valíyu'lláh Khán. I sat with over-brimming eyes, drinking in the Glory of His Presence.
     "Oh Valíyu'lláh Khán," I said, "say to the Master for me that I know He is the Sun and I pray He will always encircle me with His rays."

"You are very near Me," He answered, "and while you speak the truth you will always be with Me. I pray that you may become the candle of New York, spreading the Light of Love all around you."
     After this we sat silent in His Presence, silent for a long time.
     Once again He saw me when Marjorie came. He told her she was my child, my "little chicken" and said we must comfort each other after He has gone."


No comments:

Post a Comment